Do you love research? Well its time to get engaged!
When researchers complete their work, it is typically published in a journal or presented at a conference. But how can researchers ensure that those outside their disciplines know about it? If new knowledge is not shared, it could end up languishing for years between the pages of an academic tome, or locked up behind the paywall of a digital repository. How then can it ever have positive impacts in the world?
#theArtofResearch is a series of training programmes by research communication specialists Jive Media Africa. The programme equips researchers with the confidence and skills to share their research with wider audiences, increasing its visibility and impact in the world.
This year, #theArtofResearch training programme has seen tremendous growth. Our teams have travelled the length and breadth of the country to encourage and support early career academics to get creative, and to share their research.
For example – our director, Robert Inglis recently led a #theArtofResearch training workshop for the Africa Health Research Institute at the Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine – UKZN, helping AHRI researchers overcome challenges in communicating their health-related topics to public audiences. During the one-day workshop, AHRI researchers learnt how to use a narrative writing structure to make their research resonate with the public.
At Unisa – The University of South Africa, in just one week, 44 research stories were written in just three days in #theArtofResearch training sessions. ‘Police morale’, ‘battlefield archaeology’ and ‘growing the digital workforce’ are just a glimpse of the exciting studies that were under the spotlight. And that’s not all. At the Tshwane University of Technology we were excited to deliver our Build-your-Brand training workshop in which researchers from a range of disciplines pitched their stories to online news sites and published them on social media platforms including Twitter and LinkedIn.
Through #theArtofResearch, early career academics quickly gain skills which are critical for successful careers in research. Our current training offering includes;
- Contextual Writing: Transform a journal article into an accessible story to reach a wider audience. Learn how narrative writing structures can be used to convey research to the public.
- Public Speaking: Confidently engage audiences with great ideas which inspire action. Hone your skills through delivering and recording short talks.
- Powerful Presentations: A great presentation can change the world. Develop presentation skills to design and deliver effective, attractive presentations that make lasting impact.
- Build Your Research Brand: Define and refine your online brand identity to establish your expertise and invite collaboration and engagement. Develop a brand narrative and learn how to use powerful media platforms to enhance your visibility.
- Inspire STEM Engagement: Develop early interest and exposure to science, technology, engineering and mathematics in collaboration with the national Science Spaza initiative.
We can customize any of our training workshops to suit your specific needs and focus areas. Book your training today.